5 Things To Keep You Sane During Self-Quarantine
People around the globe have entered self-quarantine in response to the coronavirus outbreak. This unprecedented event has left many of us wondering how to fill our time in ways that reduce anxiety and stress. Fortunately, a mix of technology and creativity can help you to use your hours in positive ways.
Take a look at five ways to stay sane and occupied during self-quarantine.
Take a Virtual Museum Tour
It will be quite sometime before anyone is walking into one of the great cultural institutions of the world. Unfortunately, iconic museums like the Guggenheim, the Metropolitan Museum of Art and the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History have all been forced to shut their doors to visitors amid the coronavirus crisis. However, there are some amazing things you can experience right now with virtual tours!
Here's a list with links:
- National Parks of The United States - Google Earth offers some fantastic Virtual Tours of the National Parks.
- National Aquarium - Walk through tropical waters to the icy tundra in this floor-by-floor tour of the famous, Baltimore-based aquarium.
- Winchester Mystery Home - Formerly owned by Sarah Winchester, heir to the firearm company, is in fact very haunted. That being said, no spirits can be seen in this virtual tour. Instead, people who partake in the tour will see stairs leading to ceilings, windows to nowhere and other weird home designs.
- Smithsonian National Museum - allows visitors to take self-guided, room-by-room tours of select exhibits and areas within the museum from their desktop or mobile device.
- The Jefferson Monticello - Tour the house and explore its furnishings in this 360-degree panoramic presentation of Jefferson's autobiographical architectural masterpiece.
Learn Some Magic/Card Tricks
Now is the time to start thinking about your big social comeback once this situation is over. Have you always wanted to learn some fun card tricks or "sleight of hand" techniques to pull out at parties? You may finally have the time to sit down to learn some basic tricks that are really fun to pull out at social gatherings. YouTube has hundreds of videos for easy magic tricks that you can master with just a little bit of time and practice!
Download Some Meditation Apps
The ironic part about self-quarantine is that having so much "alone" time has never felt so stressful. Yes, it's tempting to simply watch the news on a continual loop to try to stay on top of what's happening. The reality is that the world will go on even if you unplug for a little bit. One of the best things you can do for your mind and body is to download some meditation apps. "Escaping" to a place of serenity and calm for even just 15 to 30 minutes can take the weight of the world off your shoulders. You will emerge feeling refreshed and more prepared to handle the stress of this trying period.
Play a Long, Involved Board Game
It's time to dust off your collection of board games! You're really in luck if you own favorites like Monopoly and Risk because you can get hours and hours of play out of these favorites. Put some tea on the kettle, find a comfortable spot to sit and get lost in fantasy worlds that you probably haven't had time to enter in years! This may also be a good time to teach any little ones in your home how to play some of the most legendary board games for the first time.
Organize Group Video Chats With Your Friends and Loved Ones
Feelings of isolation can creep in pretty quickly after a few days away from the world you know. You may be feeling down because you're not able to visit with friends and family. Fortunately, technology can keep us connected. Don't stop at just texting back and forth with your loved ones. You can "book" a meeting time where everyone joins a video chat. This is going to offer a much more connected feeling because you'll actually be able to see the faces of the people you care about instead of just staring at words on your screen. You can also put some music on to create a virtual dance party if everyone is feeling a bit stir crazy!
Commit to Trying Just One Activity Today
It’s easy to feel helpless when so much is out of your control. However, you may be able to get a mood boost from trying just one of the items on this list today. Just remember that everyone is in this together!