5 Things Sellers Do To Hamper Their Sale
5 Things Sellers Do To Hamper Their Home Sale…Are you guilty?
- Not being flexible on showings. If people aren’t able to see your home, they can’t fall in love with it! We know the buyers like to see it on weekends and nights, which is highly inconvenient but did you know that most buyers who are turned down for showings don’t reschedule they just move on. Plan on making your home available to as many buyers as possible to increase your odds of selling for top dollar.
- A clean house shines! If your house is clean it makes the whole showing a million times better. Not only does it help the buyers with what their eyes are seeing but also most people assume if your house is clean then you are also taking care of the things they don’t see.
- Thinking you staying home for a showing is “helpful”. Nope. Never. Well never is really strong but let’s say it makes the buyer uncomfortable and can make you look desperate to sell which is never in your favor. If there is something you think buyers need to know about your home, let your realtor know and they can make it known to the buyers’ agent.
- Too emotional. Even bad offers sometimes turn into closings. It’s tempting when you get a low offer to say, “Are they crazy? I’m not even going to counter to that.” But I always tell my sellers a short story…One day we received an offer that was $45,000 less than the asking price. My seller was so mad, honestly he yelled with a few cuss words directed towards me for even bothering him with such a low ball offer. I calmly asked him to go ahead and counter back to which he got even madder and actually said something like…if you don’t have enough sense to know you are wasting my time then I am going to get another agent. Now, I so wish I could say I calmly replied but…I may be a tad high strung myself, and may have shared some words along the lines of, well if you don’t have enough sense to at least counter back then I don’t want to be your agent. Thankfully after we both calmed down we countered back and guess what? It closed!! At the closing, he told everyone I was the best agent. Made me laugh considering he fired me and I quit all in the same conversation. All that to say, always counter. You just never know what the other people are really willing to pay.
- When you are looking at realtors to represent you be picky. Make sure you are impressed with their past marketing efforts (check out their photos of houses they have sold in the past, do they look fantastic, if not move on) and their communication style. It takes more than just sticking a sign in the yard and putting it in the MLS to truly count as a marketing plan.
Here are two short video's I've recorded in the past with tips...
Listing information last updated on September 24, 2021 at 8:30 PM EST.